2022 was a tough year for campaigning for an end to global poverty, with political and economic turmoil in the UK and around the world. But despite this, we are convinced that your advocacy helped to make the world a better place. In 2022, you have:
- Helped gain £1 billion from the UK Government to fight HIV, TB and malaria around the world – less than we hoped for, but an incredible win given the financial turbulence this year.
- Helped persuade the Government to spend £20 million of a promised £50 million on efforts to vaccinate children against polio – a debilitating disease that’s on the verge of being eradicated forever, but which last year showed alarming signs of resurgence.
- Influenced the Government to implement its promised new approach to fighting malnutrition, ensuring that all development programmes are designed with their impact on improving nutrition in mind.
With no sign that significant additional funding for the UK’s global anti-poverty programmes is likely this year, we’ve a lot to do to make sure our ODA (Official Development Assistance) budget is spent as well as possible, and to do this, we need you! This year, we will advocate that the UK Government should:
- Fund programmes to ensure that children caught up in emergency situations can continue to receive an effective education.
- Ensure that the ODA budget, now administered by Development Minister Andrew Mitchell MP, is focused on poverty reduction.
- Implement global commitments made in 2018 to achieve progress on the eradication of tuberculosis, which has been seriously set back by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This month, we’re asking you to reflect on your campaigning in 2022 and make plans for 2023, considering how you can help achieve these advocacy goals. Our 2023 campaign calendar and planning tool will help you map out your year. Whether you’re campaigning as an individual or in a RESULTS group, we hope you’ll be inspired to use your personal and political power to achieve change – for the better!
If you haven’t already, sign up here to receive regular information about our suggested campaign actions throughout the year.